MedTech Europe and its Market Research Committee, which includes delegates from multiple IVD companies, have therefore developed its IVD related activities on three pillars:
- Market statistics programmes that provide a comprehensive overview of the latest market trends: Global Diagnostic Market Statistics (GDMS) and Management Information System (MIS).
- Global IVD Products Classification (GIVD).
- European IVD market statistics. Medtech Europe publishes an annual summary of aggregated sales in the IVD market – including macroeconomic and healthcare expenditure data – which gives a succinct overview of the market developments for all EU Member States and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). Yearly reports on can be found here.
In Vitro Diagnostics Market Intelligence Programmes
The medical diagnostics sector is a dynamic, innovative industry, where market conditions are changing frequently. Therefore it is vitally important that companies remain abreast of the trends and movements that will impact their business environment. Medtech Europe has been following the development of the European IVD market for many years.
The reports are compiled on a quarterly (GDMS) and monthly (MIS) basis, with data being provided directly by IVD companies. GDMS is essential for marketing departments, as it provides detailed quarterly market reports in 14 European countries, U.S. and Canada. MIS is essential for company management, providing monthly top-line worldwide market reports. Reports are not available for sale and are exclusively available to participating companies.
MedTech Europe’s Market Intelligence IVD programmes
As part of its service to members, Medtech Europe has developed two invaluable statistical programmes that offer a comprehensive overview of the latest market trends. These are the Global Diagnostic Market Statistics (GDMS, formerly EDMS) and the Management Information System (MIS). They are based on an independent audit of invoiced sales and their objective information serves as a valuable source for decision-making in the IVD industry.
> > Global Diagnostic Market Statistics (GDMS)
The participating companies submit their data based on the parameter level of the Global IVD classification, i.e. the highest level of detail. Currently 14 European countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland and the UK), Canada and the US participate in the programme. Reports are published quarterly for most countries, and twice a year for the reamining countries, providing very detailed insights on market size, market share and market evolution.The consolidated reports are compiled using confidential data from more than 80 companies. This covers in excess of 85% of the IVD market in major European countries and makes the GDMS an invaluable tool for marketing departments.
More information on the GDMS is available here.
> > Management Information System (MIS)
The MIS report is also compiled from confidential company data. In comparison to the GDMS it is published monthly and provides fewer details than GDMS, which makes the programme ideal for company management. The reports currently comprise 18 top lines, but will soon include around 100 product groups (all according to the GIVD class). Just like GDMS it provides data on market size, market share and market evolution. At present, the MIS report covers 20 countries but the aim is to publish global data in the beginning of 2014, including data from emerging markets.
More information on the MIS is available here.
The MIS and GDMS reports are not for sale; access is only available to companies who contribute data. For participating companies, there are a number of advantages.
- The reports are created in an electronic format; this makes them easy to use, and allows easy data manipulation and analysis of figures;
- As the reports are based on data provided by companies, a high level of accuracy is guaranteed;
- The reports are highly cost-effective for those who supply the data, by providing detailed market information which would otherwise need to be sourced from an external supplier.
Medtech Europe and Market Research Committee closely cooperates with industry associations and companies around the world in order to expand the market programmes to other countries so as to build a truly global map of IVD trends and market growth. The Medtech Europe and Market Research Committee are also working for both programmes to be expanded to emerging markets.
Market Research Committee
Chair: Helene Washington (Abbott)
Contact person in Secretariat: Cristian Manoiu, Senior Manager, Market Data